Peace Corps is a camp, in that "life in a bubble" way not always in that "wow, this is so great, positive and energizing" way. Everything is a bit...off. And extreme. The highs and the lows are magnified. If Peace Corps had a TV series it would be something like "The Real World" meets "The Twilight Zone". My screwy episode...Life, In Bold Italics.

Monday, December 20, 2004

A small thing called utilities

So, for those playing along at home, you'll remember that I have an obsession with clean hands. Well, now I have a reason to have that obsession. Friday I was diagnosed with conjunctivitis (aka pink eye). Now, I think (think) I got it because I was wearing extended wear contacts in a country that lights dumpsters on fire and drives cars built by Russian communists - cars from the 60s and 70s with no imposed emission standards. I may be wrong. Still, my crusade to keep hands germfree has been given new life.

So, now, I am at home hibernating with my oozing eye, which is rather OK. A day of shameless internet surfing in one's PJs never hurt anyone. However, there are a few assumptions you are making - I have heat, true; and electricity, yes; and water? Nope. No water. Why? Good question! People here like to turn the utilities off (water, electricity) for unexplained reasons and for undisclosed amounts of time. When you ask why it is off no one knows. They didn't do it, for Pete's sake! How long will it be off? Not long. How long is not long? Who knows! Not long today is 6 hours so far (that I know of). And I have germs escaping from my face! Ready to nestle into other body parts and household objects! I need soap and water to carry them to their new home - some place other than my own! Plus, damn it, I just want to shower. Christ, is it asking so much?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home