Peace Corps is a camp, in that "life in a bubble" way not always in that "wow, this is so great, positive and energizing" way. Everything is a bit...off. And extreme. The highs and the lows are magnified. If Peace Corps had a TV series it would be something like "The Real World" meets "The Twilight Zone". My screwy episode...Life, In Bold Italics.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

A few of my favorite things...

As the season has included more rain and storms (storms providing me a private, happy place) I am reminded to note a few of the things I genuinely appreciate about this wacky country I'm living in. Some of them are, in no particular order:
  1. storms, especially ones that make the electricity go out
  2. walking to work
  3. zoning out/reflecting on the long bus rides
  4. seeing the country change and develop right before my eyes
  5. the universal curiosity of children
  6. witty and/or loving text messages
  7. Bulgar English/American Bulgarian
  8. access to mountains and the beach
  9. friends who are excited to see me, and who make sure it happens as often as possible
  10. friends I can't wait to see
  11. getting to know friends better, seeing each other through good and bad times
  12. long sits in outdoor cafes
  13. seeing my NGO develop and being a big part of that
  14. students in my building who are genuinely happy to run into me
  15. the smiles I get when I arrive to work
  16. online chats that last for hours and hours
  17. real, in-person chats that last until we can't keep our eyes open (and even a little after)
  18. meeting country people who are tickled to meet an American
  19. hiking
  20. long walks through my town, others too
  21. the people in the veggie market who insist on helping me find the best veggies
  22. people I pass who look at me like I'm not from around here, but who think that's just fine
  23. second hand clothes stores
  24. knowing that I am changing and developing every single day
  25. the guy who works at my favorite dooner stand
  26. Toni and Veneta
  27. the moment my bus pulls into Haskovo and I feel like I'm home
  28. my growing balcony garden
  29. having an evening cup of tea on my balcony
  30. reading
  31. my local internet server (illegally hosting copies of lots of movies)
  32. my Camelbak - well, all my backpacks, really
  33. veggies - yum!
  34. Plovdiv
  35. getting packages and cards
  36. sharing music with friends
  37. my apartment (when it's clean)
  38. taking more pictures
  39. taking more time with things and with people
  40. detaching from being professionally driven
  41. people watching
  42. my laptop, my savior
  43. candles
  44. cheap, good wine
  45. waking up in the mountains
  46. sunflower and lavender fields
  47. picking fruit right off the tree and eating it
  48. napping
  49. losing myself to see what I can recover
  50. the best sound in the whole world: genuine laughter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home