Peace Corps is a camp, in that "life in a bubble" way not always in that "wow, this is so great, positive and energizing" way. Everything is a bit...off. And extreme. The highs and the lows are magnified. If Peace Corps had a TV series it would be something like "The Real World" meets "The Twilight Zone". My screwy episode...Life, In Bold Italics.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I prefer to think of myself as short and interesting

I spend many of my waking hours online these days. Unlike my Bulgarian days, it's not to converse with friends or explore my interests - it's solely to find a job. My list of unreplyed to emails grows longer and longer. Part of that is due to the complete lack of separation from my work and home (having neither, they blend seamlessly). Part is due to the fact that explaining you are in between phases and parts of your life is tiring. Not sure where I am or where I'm going, I don't wish to blow the dust of my confusion and internal conflicts in order to present them to someone else. If it's not broke, don't fix it. But what about when it's broken, then what? I search for a job with the triad of good pay, interesting and... there's a new addition: some place where having a personality isn't a liability. It's striking how well people convey the exact type of person they want in an ad. When we posted in my last 'real' job we did it too - adding words like 'quirky' and 'sassy' to attract people who'd fit in. Reading job ads requires more savvy than the NYC real estate ads. Too much use of "must" means there's a predefined way to do the job and you'll be judged by that mold. "Preferred" qualifications mean they'll only hire people who have them, though they don't intend to pay the appropriate salary for that level of work. If a job description is so long and boring you want to skim it, it doesn't bode well for the actual position. There's a right way to say everything - it's all corporate-speak, carefully phrased to appease the HR director, lawyers and hiring manager. I've never been a fan of governing by committee. In the end it all seems like a long pointless paragraph describing a job that reflects its description. And I'm left to wonder: why am I doing this? What do I want from it? What would something better look like? Where would I fit in?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home