Peace Corps is a camp, in that "life in a bubble" way not always in that "wow, this is so great, positive and energizing" way. Everything is a bit...off. And extreme. The highs and the lows are magnified. If Peace Corps had a TV series it would be something like "The Real World" meets "The Twilight Zone". My screwy episode...Life, In Bold Italics.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Emotional barriers to something completely within reach

So, because this issue is particularly personal, I am going to leave it vague. Also, I think most people, especially volunteers, experience this with something, whatever it may be.

There is something I'm not doing here that I am supposed to do, and want to do. It's pretty fundamental and essential for the work I need to do, the work I want to do. But, still, I don't do it. Logically, it's within my reach. I KNOW I can do it, but emotionally I FEEL that I can't - that the glass on the table is completely out of reach. So, when people walk into the room and ask why I'm so thirsty I make a joke about the glass, say I don't want what's in it, give any excuse for not just reaching out, taking the glass and downing it. I can light candles, I can make a four course meal, I can play obscure music and change the temperature. But I cannot drink from that glass. When people leave they remember the food, the setting, their own drink - the glass is only a funny reference, with the jokes even supplied by me. But when they leave, it's just it and me. And a mouth dying of thirst.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home