Peace Corps is a camp, in that "life in a bubble" way not always in that "wow, this is so great, positive and energizing" way. Everything is a bit...off. And extreme. The highs and the lows are magnified. If Peace Corps had a TV series it would be something like "The Real World" meets "The Twilight Zone". My screwy episode...Life, In Bold Italics.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Goal Orientation

Big press release: I'm goal oriented. Sometimes it gives me focus, sometimes it just makes me question everything. Secretly, it can drive me crazy, but it has its uses. Like now. It helps me sort through what I want to do and figure out how to do it. It helps me think (and often helps me over think - not good). Here are some of my current goals and some ideas about how to do them (Putting goals in writing is also good. It helps me see them. And I know that once released people will ask me about it, which holds me to them):
  1. Seriously do something everyday that scares the hell out of me.
  2. Commit to learning the language by learning 20 words a day, seeing my tutor more often and speaking more.
  3. Stop complaining about not having work and start looking for it. Start finding it!
  4. Visit a volunteer in another town at least once a month, preferably not just repeating the same locations.
  5. Join a gym, eventually go to fitness classes. I need to get back in shape (after not working out for 6 months!) and I think it's a good place to meet people - it's best to meet people who like doing what you like to do.
  6. Stop complaining about Peace Corps to random people and start sending my complaints and suggestions to HQ, where someone will possibly do something about it!
  7. Listen to more music! I love music and have been introduced to some new, really great stuff. It's a great energy and thought source.
  8. Read more. I came here with a reading list and have barely touched it. Crying shame.
  9. Take inventory of my day. Remember the bad AND the good.
  10. Stop complaining so damn much!
  11. Remember and honor the goals I set in the beginning:
  • Laugh deeply and often.
  • Affect and be affected.
  • Acknowledge and appreciate joy.
  • Explore and expand in every way.
  • Establish and challenge personal truths.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Wahlgren said...

I like goals 1 & 3 the best. Goal 1 is so hard to accomplish though, so I am satisfied if I just do one thing that scares me every week. LOL!

TTYS Jen

8:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been a while. How are the goals going?

6:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home