Peace Corps is a camp, in that "life in a bubble" way not always in that "wow, this is so great, positive and energizing" way. Everything is a bit...off. And extreme. The highs and the lows are magnified. If Peace Corps had a TV series it would be something like "The Real World" meets "The Twilight Zone". My screwy episode...Life, In Bold Italics.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

That's my story and I'm sticking to it

It's Saturday. I feel a little hungover. Sounds seem too loud or as if they are coming through a muffled tunnel (yes, I know - those are my ears). My head feels clogged. I'm a little achy. And tired.

You might be wondering what I did last night - sounds like I had quite a time, right? Well, I watched "Being Julia" and ate popcorn. No alcohol. I was hungover then too. The night before?? Nothing...I drank Wednesday night. Seriously - WEDNESDAY. I met a friend for drinks and was looking to get a little tipsy. Well, I skipped that part (once an overachiever, always one) and went straight for deliriously intoxicated. And sick. So very sick. I have no idea how I got through that night - it was quite a mess. I will spare you the details....let's just say my body rapidly started detoxifying itself. I have never been that sick or drunk in my life. Ever.

For those who don't know me, this may make me seem like quite the lightweight. Friends back home can testify, however, that I can hold my own with the best of them (well, ok, not my mom who has a special compartment or something that I didn't inherit). There were times when I was quite the drinker indeed. There are two changes here: 1) Bulgarian alcohol is really, really low-grade, bottom-shelf stuff. I'm not being catty, just honest. My dad wouldn't strip a deck with this stuff. When I drank in the States I was more of a top-shelf gal (surprise!). That difference couldn't not have helped matters. 2) Ick. As I approach my 29th birthday, I am reminded that I am getting older and perhaps I just shouldn't assume I can pound them back as well or as quickly as before. I don't mind the aging process (in general) and even look forward to turning 30 (and getting out of the 20s, which I consider dreadful) . It's just hard to think that I'm reaching that watch-what-you-drink-and-take-your-pill stage. I have no pills...yet.

So, this is my theory: my body (light on food) didn't take well to low-grade gin (and quite a sum of it). It rejected it and in the process took a swing at my immune system. That's what I'm fighting - a weakened immune system. Not a 2.5 day hangover. Not my age... Makes sense.

All this theorizing and explaining is making me tired. I think I need a nap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home