Peace Corps is a camp, in that "life in a bubble" way not always in that "wow, this is so great, positive and energizing" way. Everything is a bit...off. And extreme. The highs and the lows are magnified. If Peace Corps had a TV series it would be something like "The Real World" meets "The Twilight Zone". My screwy episode...Life, In Bold Italics.

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Housecleaning or Zoloft?

I'm not sure if women carry more emotional weight around because we create it for ourselves or because we just naturally do. It's always concerned me. Growing up in a working class family I saw women deal with the weight in a number of ways: drinking, yelling, obsessively cleaning, focusing their energy on various knick-knack collections. Once I moved to New York I got to see how the other half lives. Wealthy women often carry their weight with the help of an agreeable doctor, a lot of prescriptions, beauty preservation and an overbooked social calendar. I think that over time working class women tend to deaden, just check-out and think there is nothing left for them to do. Upper class women, it seems, unravel.

This is clearly not universal, but it does bring up a question of how best to deal with one's emotional weight. I've erred on the side of facing it. Though not always completely successful, it's helped me feel like I own my emotions and know them. Recently I've begun to realize that this tactic has its own grave flaws, namely spending too much time in one's own head. Sometimes no amount of thinking and fretting gives clarity. Hours later and it's all still a big, nasty mess. Emotions aren't linear and sometimes just make no sense at all. They just are.

What does one do with this?! Do you say "oh well!" and gloss over it - move on and convince yourself of your own happiness (or that it doesn't matter) only to have the unhappiness manifest into strange habits and preoccupations? Do you sit in it? For how long? I want to honor both what I am feeling and what I am capable of, but one urges me to sit and the other to just keep running. Will something catch up to me or will I be left behind? Where should it all go? Where will it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home